Melissa (Lemon Balm) Essential Oil
Refreshing and energizing, lemon balm or Melissa essential oil is a pleasant fragrance to add to your essential oil collection. The benefits of lemon balm or melissa essential oil are specific and clear.
Benefits and Uses
- CANCER PREVENTION POTENTIAL: Lemon balm stands out as absolutely valuable due to its cancer prevention potential. Lemon balm (Melissa essential oil), went through an extensive study in 2014, testing its ability to mitigate brain cancer cells. The results were found that a major part of lemon balm – citral – had numerous effects on the process and behavior of brain cancer and may be of potential interest for the treatment of this particular kind of cancer. While the words may sound vague and unfinished, the concept is strong. Lemon balm (melissa essential oil) holds pieces to the puzzle of a cancer cure, and hopefully researchers will fit them together in our lifetimes!
- ANTI-DIABETIC ACTIONS: Diabetes affects more and more people every day, from type 1 lack of insulin production to type 2 lack of insulin sensitivity. For type 2 diabetes, diet and lifestyle changes are a huge component of treatment. Where diet and lifestyle are indicated, you are likely to find an essential oil to help as well. Such is the case with lemon balm, which has been tested as an anti-diabetic essential oil. In vitro studies suggest that even small amounts of lemon balm essential oil can help to curb type 2 diabetes. It’s important to know your diabetes diagnosis well before looking toward additional nutritive treatment like essential oils. Once you understand what your body needs, you can look to oils like lemon balm to assist treatment.
- Cold Sores Healing: Not only are cold sores uncomfortable and unsightly, they are a virus that can be transmitted. In fact, cold sores fall under the umbrella of herpes – the herpes simplex virus. So if you are struggling against cold sores, it’s not just a soothing reprieve you need. You need an antiviral! Many essential oils are antivirals and could be used against cold sores. Lemon balm, though, appears to be directly effective against the herpes simplex virus. As part of a soothing lip balm, you can address both the need to sooth painful sores and attack the virus at its root.
- Cognitive Calm: Lemon balm is traditionally used for its calming effects. Essential oils are perfectly suited for this purpose, with easy application (just breathe deep) and relaxation promotion. Lemon balm may do much more than just relax you, though. A study published in 2012 demonstrated the ability that lemon balm has to directly affect the brain and neurotransmitters. The specific action studied actually has implications for improving cognitive function and even reversing the effects of Alzheimer’s disease. Such direct effects on the brain show us how deeply essential oils work in our bodies. Simply inhaling an oil like lemon balm is not just relaxing us because we like the scent, but it’s actually helping to change things deep within ourselves!
- Bug Repellant: You’ve probably noticed by this point that bug repellent effects are a repeated benefit of many essential oils. It’s not universal for all essential oils, but many have shared components that are effective against mosquitos, ticks, and other pests. With Lyme disease on the rise, this is more important than ever. For lemon balm, the shared component is citronellol and citral, shared with the popular bug repelling oil citronella. Sometimes, these natural components are much more effective than synthetic alternatives. As one study noted of essential oils, “these natural products have the potential to provide efficient, and safer repellents for humans and the environment.” Why use potentially toxic chemicals when we have perfectly effective natural substances at our fingertips!
The products offered by Quente Products are neither intended nor prescribed to be a substitute for medical treatments, cure or prevention of any disease – physical, mental and emotional. Please consult your healthcare provider for any health-related problems prior to use.