Tagetes Khakibos Essential Oil
The smell of tagetes essential oil has been described as green apple. The scent mixes well into aromatherapy blends with herbaceous or fresh notes; such as clary sage. The oil has a medium-thin consistency, and comes out a rich gold colour. Tagetes essential oil readily reacts with oxygen, so the bottle should always be kept sealed to ensure maximum freshness and potency.
Benefits and Uses
Whenever you inhale the crisp, fruity scent of tagetes essential oil, these active compounds are actually making their way through the bloodstream to get right to work on healing the body. The various components of the oil act in different ways, each one as beneficial as the next.
FOR THE BODY
When tagetes essential oil enters the bloodstream, the heart can circulate it through the entire body in as little as 20 seconds. The relief felt can be almost immediate, and the benefits are long lasting when used regularly.
- Anti-cancer: Tagetes oil boasts some promising anti-cancer activity. When researchers studied the effects of the oil on breast cancer cells, they found that tagetes essential oil actually helps kill these malignant tumor cells. Tagetes is a great essential oil to supplement the cancer fighting abilitites of other essential oils such as thyme essential oil.
- Fights Free Radicals: Part of the potency of this oil against cancer cells is due to the fact that tagetes helps to eliminate free radicals from the blood. Oxidative damage can take its toll on the body; especially if it builds up over long periods of time. Using antioxidant essential oils such as tagetes regularly can help empower the body to eliminate environmental toxins with ease.
- Anti-inflammatory: Chronic inflammation is one of the most widespread disorders in the western world. Inflammation is a contributing factor in many asecondary disorders as well; including: Allergies, Carpal tunnel syndrome, Arthritis, Heart failure, Kidney Disease, Rheumatism, Scleroderma, GERD, Alzheimer’s. Inflammation has a hand in nearly every avoidable disease there is. Any way to reduce inflammation naturally not only benefits people with these disorders; it benefits anyone looking to prevent them as well. Tagetes is one such essential oil which helps to reduce inflammation in the body. Researchers noted that tagetes essential oil helps to reduce inflammation by reducing the oxidative stress in the body; thus enabling the immune system to treat itself.
- Reduces Cold and Flu: Both the common cold and flu are caused by viruses which try to take over the body. In response, the body produces the symptoms we experience to help eliminate these microbes. Perhaps the most notable benefit of tagetes essential oil is its antimicrobial activities. Tagetes oil shows antimicrobial activity against many microscopic invaders; including many different viruses, bacteria, and fungi. Diffusing a few drops of tagetes oil in the room of someone sick with the cold or flu can help speed their healing time. There are also plenty more essential oils for the cold and flu, and tagetes oil is just one!
IN THE BRAIN
As the anti-inflammatory compounds in tagetes oil enter the bloodstream, they are quickly carried to the brain. Here they can reduce tension and promote a stillness in the mind.
- Sedative: Because of the relaxing and anti-inflammatory nature of tagetes essential oil, it has a calming, slightly sedating effect on the mind. The oil is said to relax the muscles in the body, and when inhaled, can relieve the tension headache often associated with stress. Add the essential oil to a diluted blend of other stress reducing essential oils and apply to the temples for a moment of calm. Alternatively, add a few drops of tagetes essential oil to an aromatherapy diffuser and diffuse for 30 minutes each day for stress relief.
ON THE SKIN
Traditionally, tagetes flowers are used on the skin, either crushed or juiced, to protect and heal woulds, cuts, scrapes, and burns of all sorts. Many natural medicinal practices revere the tagetes flowers for their protective abilities. When the essential oil is studied, it is not surprising to find that tagetes can protect the skin in many ways.
- Antimicrobial: Marigolds are often planted alongside plants such as tomatoes and eggplants, as they are believed to be natural antimicrobial agents. Upon studying the oil, researchers have found that indeed tagetes oil is a potent antimicrobial agent; and is effective against most known microbes. Viruses, bacteria, fungi, and even protozoa are all kept in check by tagetes essential oil. The study noted that for this reason, tagetes should be further studied as a remedy for food poisoning. When applied topically, this makes tagetes oil an antiseptic; protecting small wounds from infection. In fact, researchers have noted that tagetes oil is even effective at eliminating antibiotic resistant bacterial strains such as MRSA.
- Antifungal: It is interesting to note that for all of its wide range of antimicrobial benefits, tagetes essential oil still plays favorites. For instance, the essential oil is remarkably fond of certain fungi. Luckily for humans, one such fungal strain is the Candida albicans. Researchers were surprised at how well tagetes oil eliminates candida; which shows promise for anyone looking for additional antifungal essential oils.
- Disinfectant: Because of its wide range of effectiveness against various microbes, tagetes essential oil makes a great natural disinfectant. From countertops to shared toilets; tagetes essential oil can help you naturally protect yourself from a host of different microbial invaders.
- Bug Repellant: Tagetes essential oil also makes for a ingredient to add to bug repellants; especially if you live in an area where ticks are present. A team of researchers aiming to find beneficial natural products to keep ticks off of livestock noted that tagetes essential oil repels ticks with ease due to the volatile compounds present in the oil. The research indicated that oils made from the Tagetes minuta species were the most favourable.
As with basically any pure essential oil, you should dilute tagetes essential oil before applying to the skin, as allergic reactions can occur. That said, pay attention to any reactions your body may have to oils when applied on the skin, and should start by applying them to a small area before moving onto a large area of the body. Use any new essential oil under the guidance of a qualified healthcare practitioner.
The products offered by Quente Products are neither intended nor prescribed to be a substitute for medical treatments, cure or prevention of any disease – physical, mental and emotional. Please consult your healthcare provider for any health-related problems prior to use.